The European Union transmitted a series of recommendations and directives that have to be complied with by each member state. To this purpose, Romania has established quotas for the wastes recycling. The recycling quota for our country is 60% out of the total of packaging wastes introduced on the market. According to the law, the companies that introduce on the market packed products (R.E.O.- Responsible Economic Operators) must assure that the packages obtained following consumption are collected selectively and recycled in authorized recycling centers. On the contrary, the R.E.O. will pay a fee of Lei 2 /kilogram for the non-recycled packages quantities.
If we neglect packing wastes collection and recycling, the costs will be transferred to the final user. The trials carried-out by experts in economy forecast price increases ranging between 4% and 25%. Thus, the decrease of production / import and of consumption will be imminent. Among the most affected categories of products, we mention the food ones, packed in glass or metal.
According to the available data, the recycling targets at the EU level tend to increase periodically, what causes the responsible economic operators, packages generators, to conclude firm agreements with TROs, in order to avoid the eventual sanctions.
- Ministry of Environment
- Environment Fund Administration
- National Agency for Environmental Protection
- European Environment Agency
- PACKAGING AND PACKAGING WASTE LEGISLATION:
- Order No. 1555/ 2020 – amending and supplementing the Procedure for authorisation, annual approval and withdrawal of the right to operate of organisations implementing extended producer responsibility obligations, approved by Order No. 1.362/2018 of the Deputy Prime Minister, Minister for the Environment.
- Procedure No. 39/2019 – Procedure for authorisation, annual approval and withdrawal of the right to operate of organisations implementing extended producer responsibility obligations, dated 28.12.2018.
- Order No 1362/2018 – approving the Procedure for the authorisation, annual endorsement and withdrawal of the right to operate of organisations implementing extended producer responsibility obligations.
- Law no. 249/2015 – on how to manage packaging and packaging waste.
- Ordinance No. 1/2021 – amending and supplementing Law No. 249/2015 on the management of packaging and packaging waste.
- GEO no. 92/2021 – on the waste regime.
- Ordinance No 6/2021 – on reducing the environmental impact of certain plastic products.
- GEO No 196/2005 – on the Environment Fund.
- Order No 794/2012 – on the procedure for reporting data on packaging and packaging waste.
- Decision No 955/2014 – amending Decision 2000/532/EC establishing a list of wastes pursuant to Directive 2008/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council.
- Decision no. 856/2002 – on waste management records and for the approval of the list of waste including hazardous waste.
- Decision No 1061/2008 – on the transport of hazardous and non-hazardous waste in Romania.
- Regulation 1031/2006 – on shipments of waste.
- Commission guidelines on single-use plastic products under (EU) Directive 2019/904 of the European Parliament and of the Council on reducing the environmental impact of certain plastic products (2021/C/216/01).